Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Hort Club Greenhouse Tour

On Sunday, my friend Rhonda and I, did the Hort Club Greenhouse Tour - 3 Commercial Greenhouses in the Odessa area. The first garden centre was small but very well organized with beautifully potted plants - we enjoyed looking - they had lots of grasses. Then we traveled on to Violet to Potter's Greenhouse, a well established family operated greenhouse - I enjoy this place as it is very country - we bought lots of garden plants - their plants were excellent quality and we just kept walking and walking and looking at the hanging baskets, annuals, perennials, herbs, vegetables and on and on. I am on a marigold tangent this spring and bought a box even tho I have some growing in my greenhouse. Also, bought a Lantana - when starting to bloom, it is pink, then as it opens, it turns to orange and yellow. A flower new to me, Red Venedio, was my next purchase - has a gorgeous red daisy flower and poppy like leaf - hopefully, it will flower all summer.
The last stop was Burt's - a huge commercial grower - on Maple Road - I found Statice there - they also gave us a hanging plant (snapdragons) - I guess because we spent over $25.00. We also stopped for lunch at the home of some Hort Club members near the greenhouses - chili, fresh buns, coffee, and squares - very yummy! They have a gorgeous garden - lots of tulips and spring blooms.
It has been really cool here lately but this AM was so nice, I planted my marigolds and dusty millers, and dug up some plants from my garden for the Hort Club plant sale. I also dug up some dandelions.
ENJOYMENT: Newly planted flowers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home